BOLLYWOOD ISHTYLE: Deepika's Glamorous Saris in 'Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewaani'

I watched this film recently, and was struck by the colourful, bright saris worn by Deepika in 'Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani' (mainly in the second half of the film, the first half is casual western slacks, shorts and funky dresses). I liked the vibe of this film, but to be honest, it wasn't original and it reminded me of a few other films like 'Love, Breakups Zindagi' and 'Tanu Weds Manu' and a few others I can't remember the names of right now. Having said that, most of these films are a fun watch if you're not looking for anything too heavy.

The main thing I noticed about Deepika's outfit is that although her character is meant to be shy and quiet, she still looks fabulous (it also helps that she has an amazing figure too!). Apart from the glasses (it had to be put in there, didn't it?), Deepika doesn't look very mousy, she looks chic, stylish and she certainly knows how to wear a sari - but I think this is deliberate, and on the whole it works pretty well. The main designers for the costumes in this film are Manish Malhotra, and Samidha Wangnoo - I don't know Wangnoo's style very well, but several lenghas and saris in this film are iconic Manish Malhotra and fit his signature style.

The first outfit I liked it this sari in a beautiful shade of cobalt blue, with a black sequined blouse - simple yet colourful, and looks great on Deepika. I also love Deepika's wavy curls here, loose but glamorous, finished off with pinky-nude lips and some eye-make up that I'm already wondering how to copy. I'm not a fan on the small, bikini-style blouses, but Deepika pulls it off, particularly with the way that the sari is draped. I also love the fact that this sari (designed by Manish Malhotra) is available to buy here, along with another design from the film (although you may have to wait a while seeing as they're currently sold out, otherwise you could make your own version like this lovely blogger).


Another outfit worn by Deepika is a red sharara, with a cropped top, although I wasn't so keen on this because it felt a little outdated (it kept reminding me of Kareena's outfit in Bole Chudiyan). Although the outfit itself wasn't to my taste, I loved the dupatta with its accent of blue, and the beautiful mehndi on Deepika's hands - it's my opinion that they don't have enough detailed mehndi in Bollywood films!



Kalki Koechlin plays the bride-to-be in this film wearing a pretty red wedding dress which I assume is by Manish Malhotra again. I couldn't get a proper full length picture of the dress, but I like the work on the dress (in one of the pics below, particularly the embroidered flowers) and the dupatta - it's been a while since I've seen mirrors on clothes in Bollywood films! I also thought the scene where the bride is led out under a dupatta is sweet, and I really loved the touch of having LED lights under the dupatta to add a sparkly touch (something to try at the next family wedding, I think!)
Again, I loved the detailed mehndi on the bride, although I think Kalki looked better with her hair loose rather than tied up.




Deepika's outfit at the wedding is also quite pretty, I couldn't find a full length picture of the outfit, but it seems to be an orange lengha suit with a pretty red sequined scarf. I really like the way her hair is styled with a red rose too, it doesn't look cheesy and looks quite elegant with the outfit since her make-up and jewellery are quite simple.


All pics belong to creators of Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani

I think the outfits in this film are pretty because of the bold use of colour, and the fact that Deepika's overall look is elegant and simple, so that each look is feminine and not too blingy (not to mention easy to copy!) Although this film reminded me of several other films, it's still a fun watch and of course, it's nice to see some beautiful mehndi!

No comments:

Post a Comment